Friday, February 19, 2010

Vintage Family Rules Sign


Hello! I'm Erin from Decor AllureI'm a Mom of six with a love of decorating.  I love the challenge of trying to decorate for this crowd, yet budget-friendly.  I love garage sales, thrift stores, re-painting, re-upholstering, and re-everything!

     I have fallen in love with these vintage subway signs I'm seeing everywhere. But at prices like $785 for the ones from Restoration Hardware, it's out of the question.



 Then...I saw this family rules sign idea at http://www.tatertotsandjello.blogspot.com/ :


 Not really fitting my home's decor, but I liked the concept. Then this crazy lady's light bulb went off! I added the two ideas together to fit my style and created this:

    Here's what I did- I already had a frame that I had a piece of 1/4" plywood cut down to size for me at Home Depot (they do 2 cuts for free and many cuts for batted eyes!) I then painted the border with off white craft acrylic paint. After dry, I taped it off and painted my center black.  Two coats later, sand down the whole surface until sufficiently "aged." 
     I then typed up each phrase in a banner-making program and printed each out.  After cutting them out, I layed them out on the board as I wanted and taped the edges down to hold them in place.  Now here comes the fun part; place a sheet of carbon paper between the wood and printed paper.  On the first phrase, trace each letter.  Take off the paper and carbon and you should have a nice copy of your lettering.  Using a paint pen in off white (I used the medium and fine tip "DecoColor" brand from Michael's), trace again and fill in each letter. I kept a piece of cardboard handy to help blot the tip when it got a little too full. You can use the finer tip to define the edges of each letter a bit better. When done with the first phrase, move down to the next.  I just worked on the floor, laying on a pillow so I could really see what I was doing (and make sure I could really smell those lovely paint fumes!)
     When all dry, I sanded the letters to help age them as well.  Since making this first one, I found another larger frame at Goodwill.  It was taller and had a chunkier frame that I painted black:


I even made a few on some ready-made pine boards from Home Depot and hung them without a frame. Here's one that's dark brown and cream:

    This really wasn't that hard, yet it makes such a fun, custom sign.  Not bad for just under $20, huh?  A friend suggested making a subway-style sign using street names from your life (your different homes' streets, the street you grew up on, etc.)  I just saw this idea of writing a poem or saying on a large piece of plywood to make an inexpensive, but large piece of artwork for that big, empty wall:

   You can find instructions for this from Amanda at http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/diy/an-easy-doityourself-statement-sign-heres-lookin-at-me-kid-107848
    Oooh, the possibilities!  Try it! Just send me your signs for future inspiration.

48 comments:

  1. Erin,
    I love the family rules and the long subway signs that are in the kitchen.
    Trust me, though it is funny, I'll frequent your blog for decor tips and tricks!

    -Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have a blog!!!! I am in love with my sign, everytime I see my stairs it makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin I am so glad you are doing a blog! You are so creative! Now I can keep up with everything you are doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put your blog on my reader!! Watch out now I'm going to stalk you (only on blogland of course). You are my inspiration Erin!!! So glad to know you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited about your new blog! I just wish that you were here to do the projects together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for your blog!! You have the best ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need some new things for the wall and that would be a perfect start. Yours is great! jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did all this and you have six (6)!!! kiddos? How the heck does that work??? :-)

    Love this!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's fantastic! I love your fresh version of the family rules.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just the best!! I love it!

    Stop by and check out my Easter napkin ring promotion and see some of my Easter Tablescape ideas.

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your spin on this. I'd been eying a similar sign on a website but it was $300! This seems so easy and doable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it!!! I just made very similar to yours, but I put the fruits of the spirit on it! Love it framed!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I became a follower and am off to check out more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, if you sold these I would buy one. I love it! I guess I am going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! you do great work! You have a lot of patience! Glad to see it wasn't done with a cricut! :)
    fabulous job!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how your project turned out! I just did this as a gift to my husband using all the street names of the house that we have lived in....we've moved a lot....and include childhood addresses too. I stenciled my words but I think I'd like to try and do it like you did yours. Thanks so much for showing us your technique!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this!! Thank you for the inspiration, I may just have to make one of these for our home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE this idea! I just started a linky party over at my place- I'd love for you to feature this!!!

    http://lovinmylovebugs.blogspot.com

    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing - I have seen the subway signs too & having grown up riding the subways I would never spend that kind of $ - even if I could. You project looks AMAZING. I am a bit DIY challenged, but I would love to try... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Found you via asoftplacetoland! I love your version of the family rules! I so need to do this. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! Such a great idea and thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want to do this! I am planning on doing it for our anniversary, with our addresses. Where do you get carbon paper? Is it at Michaels? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is seriously cool! Love the style mixed with special things about your family. Very fun!!
    Blessings,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  24. Carbon paper might be at Michael's, but I got it at OfficeMax, seen it in the office section of WalMart. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really love this idea. another one to add to my long list of things to do! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Do you mind sharing the couple of fonts that you have found to work best, as well as the font size? These are awesome! I have an old painting that I'm going to do this to - looks great!!!! I love your blog and stumbled on it through ASPTL... Thanks!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just found your blog. I love this idea and will use it too!!! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love to buy one of these. Are you selling them???? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE it! I am also in love with subway signs and want to make one instead of paying and arm and a leg!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Found your blog from Tip Junkie. I wish I would have thought of this first! LOL. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I _love_ your subway signs, and have linked to your idea on my blog (unless you would like me not to). I have an old door that I think would be great painted like this. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It loooks great! (And you're right, we are on the same wavelength....) Thanks for stopping by.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Okay, that looks fantastic! I love your family rules. I kind of wish I could make one for my house, but I've already got my scripture piece in my living room. Maybe I could make one for upstairs.

    Thanks for posting on my scripture art.
    Amber @ It's Greener Over Here

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my goodness! So cute! I like yours better than any of those super expensive ones anyway! Great job!!!
    ~Robin @keephomesimple.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I stumbled upon your Family Rules sign and just loved it! I've done my own bus roll recently--I think they are great in decor!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are so creative. For those with limited time check out http://subway-sign.com
    They have affordable signs and customization and shipping is free.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great post - and nice inspiration! I linked it to my "subway art" post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello there...I so love this..do you sell them? I found htis and I do not have a vinyl lettering kit or anything like that...would love to have this in my home...thanks!
    kellijodix@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. LOVE LOVE this!! I went to Home Depot to get one of the ready-made Pine Boards, but they didn't have anything like that. What are the dimensions of your signs so I can get some wood cut? I can't really tell how large they are from the pics. THANKS!!
    Racheljone@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. What size did you cut your plywood?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you very much about sharing this post with us

    ReplyDelete

  42. this is my first visit for your site but i like it and i will be one of your followers

    ReplyDelete
  43. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this interesting and knowledgeable article. You can also check info about family canvas wall art
    family wall art Canvas wall art

    ReplyDelete
  44. its been long since i saw a post that's so educative and informational. i will make sure to share this my facebook group. you can also view contents on our websites below.

    French Bulldog Puppies For Sale

    French Bulldog Breeders

    French Bulldog Puppies For Sale Near Me

    French Bulldog Puppies For adoption

    French Bulldog Puppies


    Blue French Bulldog Puppies

    ReplyDelete
  45. Here at Bijou Teacup Puppies we have very healthy and ready to go puppies happy to move into a new home.
    tiny teacup puppies for sale

    ReplyDelete
  46. IT IS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT, BUT IT’S MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE.
    Those eyes! This sphynx cats for sales rare Russian hairless breed goes by a few names including Russian , Russian Hairless, Don Sphynx, and Don Hairless.
    hairless cats for sale Medium-sized, loyal, loving, affectionate, playful and smart are just a few of the reasons this is a much-loved breed. toy poodle for sale Fun fact: unlike the sphynx which gets its hairlessness from a recessive genetic mutation, gets its hairlessness from a dominant gene. https://www.sphynxcatsale.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails